Friday, April 14, 2017

Friday Feature: Why Read Fiction?

One thing I always wish I had more time for is reading. I read a lot for my job, but it's mostly textbooks and student work. In my leisure time, what there is of it, I tend to read non-fiction relevant to the classes I teach, along with articles and blogs that keep me in touch with what's going on in the world.

But in the summer, I make it a point to read novels. As a writer who's picky about the way words play out on a page, I discard quite a few books before I find "the one" that pulls me in and dares me to stop reading.

And, oh, how wonderful that is.

I know I'm not alone. Still, it's always nice to find support for this pursuit, especially in unexpected places, like Fast Company's article, "Five Ways Reading Fiction Makes You Better at Your Job."

Far less didactic than it sounds, the article briefly touches on how things like reasoning ability and empathy are strengthened by the simple process of reading a book. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

Definitely not a bad way to spend a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment